Friday, July 8, 2011

Book: Engraving glass a beginner's guide by Boyd Graham


This is one great little book; Mr. Graham goes into details in quiet few subjects and also explains how to do certain cuts. One of the things I like about this book is the fact that it has a few step-by-step projects. Mr. Graham focuses on drill technique and only writes a bit about the other techniques. There is also a chapter on how to make your own display boxes and the best way to display your art. One thing that this book lacks is the information about polishing. That subject is only discussed on half a page, though he does talk about what is use to polish he does not get into detail in how to use them. But all and all the book is great! This picture has both the hard and soft cover. They are both almost the same, the only difference is that the hard cover has a few color photos in the middle of the book and you find the same color photos in the front and back cover of the soft cover book. Also I may add that the cover of each is very different. The tree is nowhere to be found on the soft cover book. That’s the only photo that is missing. There is a list on where to get materials, drills and diamond burs in the back of the book (list is way old) but you can still find Foredom drills =0) and I am sure a few suppliers.

Engraving Glass : A beginner guide by Boyd Graham
125 pages
7 Chapters

You can still find this book on ebay or amazon. It is widely available though I do believe it is out of print.

3 comments:

  1. DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION ON GRAHAM'S 1982 BOOK GLASS ENGRAVING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION ON GRAHAM'S 1982 BOOK GLASS ENGRAVING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leenah, I agree, I've had the same difficulties finding out the best ways to use the rubberized abrasives such as cratex wheels. While you can find a nice selection of them on Amazon.com I would so wish that there was more in-depth instruction on how to best use them. I know Leslie Pyke is a great drill engraver, Her Chinese Dragon piece still blows me away, I wish she had the time to actually write a book on Drill Engraving for she too seems to have mastered the subtleties of using these rubbers and polishers. But, any tips you might have to another new engraver would be appreciated. I look forward to seeing more of your diamond and copper wheel work and I hope I too can acquire a Merker Lathe to use as you have, so any contacts you might have where I might acquire one used, other than paying 8k for a new one with starter sintered diamond spindle set would sure be welcome and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete