Sunday, July 17, 2011

DVD: Glass Engraving with Peter Dreiser. One word: AMAZING!!!!



Photos from top to bottom: 1) front cover 2) back cover 3) open case

The only DVD of its kind that I have come across. Sadly there isn’t much footage of high quality glass engraving available. But I hope in the future to change that because I have fallen in love with glass engraving and my calligraphy master has encourage me to do something to keep it alive… I hope in the future to be able to meet some of the artist I so greatly admire and be able to archive their work, biographies and also to keep them alive in videos for eternity! But until then… lets work with what we have.

I got this DVD from the Guild of Glass Engravers in the UK a couple of weeks ago here is their website:

http://www.gge.org.uk/

I am a huge fan of Mr. Dreiser and had only seen one photo of him, so I was so excited at the fact that I was to see him move and hear him talk… and of course see him engrave. First allow me to tell you what is not so good about this DVD:

The sound (is not so great)

And that is about it! The image is clear (not HD or anything) but the image is clear though not the size that will take a whole screen, it is neat and you can see everything at a great angle and close up.

Mr. Dreise takes his time to explain almost everything one can explain in almost three hours of footage. He explains copper wheels, polishing, stone wheels, setting up your engraving space, abrasives… He touches a whole lot of subjects on this DVD and has an amazing accent. But wait! that's not all… He also does a project and takes you step by step on how he is engraving and the cuts he is using as well as material. But that is not it! The DVD Is so amazing that he also does two extra engravings both on Flex. Drill and a Mircromotor! He goes into details while engraving with the drill such as burs, smoothing, water usage, polishing and also engraves both intaglio and surface forms. I am fascinated with copper wheel engraving, to me it was such a treat to see this virtuoso of the engraving in action. And I was so please to see there was much more. If you have a chance to get it… do so! You will love it! It is so worth it. Please click the link below to order this dvd and if you live outside of the UK make sure you choose overseas shipping. The DVD is sold at a great price! Running time: 180 minutes.

Order the Dvd here:

http://www.gge.org.uk/store/products/18



No comments:

Post a Comment