Saturday, July 9, 2011

Foredom drills and micromotors - For the drill engraver


So… if you live in the USA I think this is one of the best places to get a micromotor or a flex-drill. Foredom has been in business for many years and their customer service is amazing! I bought a kit from them a year or so ago, that I have never had a problem with. It came with two hand pieces. The collets I use are (the sizes of burrs I use I should say) are 1/16”, 3/32” and 1/8” the number 28 hand piece is very nice, thin and light. The truth of the matter is that all you need is a hand piece, the motor, foot operated control and the sizes of collets mentioned before. So save your money and do not go buying a whole kit with dvd and all that good stuff! ≈ (that’s my opinion) We tend to over buy things when we do not know exactly where to start. The best thing to do is GOOGLE search. I got my kit which is listed here for over 400.00 dollars:

http://www.foredom.net/search.aspx?find=kits&log=false&category=38

however I got it for about 330.00 US Dollars. Foredom also sales diamond burs, which I have not tried, but I have tried their stone burs and were not very good. So I will post a supplier for burs later this week. This is the link for the micromotors (which I wont comment on because I do not own one and have no experience with them but if anyone know please comment)

http://www.foredom.net/micromotors.aspx

This is their link for some of the diamond burs

http://www.foredom.net/search.aspx?find=diamond+ball

here are the stone burs

http://www.foredom.net/search.aspx?find=Aluminum+Oxides%2c+3%2f32%22

Play with the site and do some searching you will find a lot of cool stuff!

I hope this helps you and please comment or write if you have any questions =0)

Also a few more things, make sure the motor is about 1/6 of horsepower and also make sure you get a motor hanger (unless you want to lay the motor down on a table) However I find it to be more practical if it is hanging. You can also buy a kit (like the one pictured above) on amazon.com (but remember you don't need a whole kit just the basic stuff) or as I said before, do some research and you might find it cheaper. Good luck =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment