Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Why am I writing about glass engraving?

A few years ago I met a kind man who started to teach me calligraphy, he much like a vampire, gave me a gift/curse and an eye for detail and art, his calligraphy was amazing and he who is a Dr. naturally broke them down into forms and shades and ovals, thus making my eye a bit like his eyes and my letters like his. Then I discovered how some calligraphers also engraved on glass, words like names, happy birthdays etc and I became fascinated by the letters on glass... while I researched I found Lesley Pyke of course, and I thought her work was beautiful... through searching a bit more I started finding more beautiful work, and learnt about copper wheel, diamond wheel and drill engraving. I learned of the the glass engraving guild of the UK and along the way have met some really kind sweet people such as Wendy Brodd and Zoltan Viczan whom I have the pleasure to call my friends and share what they know with me and I am for ever thankful. I am making this blog because I want to come back sometime later and never forget how it all started, I also would love to talk to other glass engravers who I admire and ask them a few questions and share them with you all or at least share them with myself! I will be posting photos of my (not so great) engraving (not so great yet) and I have started this month to save to buy a lathe which will cost me almost 4,300 dollars, so I will work as hard as possible to get this in the mean time I would love to share some of the things I have done, some of the things I have received from my good friends. The photos I will share on here will be ONLY of artist who I admire and who I feel have the "fine art touch" on the glass they engrave. Why?... because my eye tells me so lol... the only NOT so great engravings I will post on here will be mine =0) but the rest will be of artist whom I feel do beautiful fine art on glass. Wendy Brodd being one of my favorites... because of the touch she has and the very soft shades she acquires. Her stuff in person is breath taking. If you have any questions... subscribe! or email me and leave me a comment. Share your thoughts! Please browse through the blog and you will find a lot of ideas and articles that will help you on your new adventure!

Leenah

No comments:

Post a Comment